This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Trek Starts Now

'At last! Good to see you fella!'. We hugged. 'You too', Mark answered with feeling. 'Indra!, great to see you again! Thanks for meeting me. Didn't know you'd be here!'

Indra, our guide for the next two weeks had come by the hotel at 2pm, and taken me to the airport to meet Mark. It had been six months since we had seen each other, and both had been through a lot.

We piled into the car, stashed the gear in hotel, did a bit of paperwork with Indra and Raju from the travel agent about the trek, and then headed out again. A quick taxi ride to somewhere over the other side of the city,climbed some steps, and we were on a rooftop restaurant, overlooking the old city, watching the sun set over the distant mountains, a cold beer in front of us.

'So how you been! I have been reading your adventures. The tractor driver, what an arse! Dan sounds like a good man, and the deserts sounded amazing'.

it was strange hearing someone talk about people that I knew and adventures that I had had. 'Yeah, its been amazing'. I admitted. 'But how have you been?'.

Mark paused. 'Mixed. Its been a tough month. Up and down. I've been through a lot. But lets talk about that another time.

'Look at the view. The mountains in the background, its amazing here. I have dreamt for two years of coming back. I can't wait'.

It was magical, sitting there, under the dying sunlight, the city below us lit up in a fading orange, savouring an old friendship, and preparing for the adventure we would undertake together.

We drank another beer, and then another. We had some food, and then back to Thamel, another bar and some more beer.

'Last one. We are not going to be drinking much on the trek'.

'Last one' I agreed. 'The trek starts now'.

No comments:

Post a Comment