This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Neil

'I'm from California, just north of San Francisco, a place called Sausiloit. Well I live there now but I grew up in New Jersey, just north of New York.

'What do I do? I'm an Ice Cream Maker. I have a small company that makes organic ice cream. We have four scoop shops but we also distribute to thirty five states as well too.

'In fact it was on a trip to base camp seven years ago that I came up with the idea of getting into Ice cream. My brother had emailed to say me why didn't I open up a scoop shop in san Rafael, but it was on the trip up here that I decided to do it, and wrote a business plan.

'Before I was working in Gap, in the finance department. I studied consumer economics at Cornell University before that. Its Ivy League. but nothing like Harvard or Yale. I did a lto of rowing there.

'But I got fed up with doing that. I left my job and flat two days before I came out to Nepal. That wasn't fun.

'But the trip was amazing. I hadn't done a lot of travelling abroad, once to Turkey. When I was young, we went on road trips with my family. We didn't have a lot of money so we drove everywhere. Florida, California. Once we spent five weeks, 97000 miles in a chevy van.

'The ice cream started off as a scoop shop. I would make the ice cream in the morning and sell it in the afternoon. Now I have a factory, and employ about fifty people. Sometimes i wonder how I got there.

'Its high end stuff. We kind of copete with Haazen Daaz and Ben and Jerry's but whilst they might sell strange combinations, we concentrate on the classical flavours done really well. We cant export to Europe due to laws about pasteurisation, but we hope to go national next year.

'We try and be an ethical as possible. We donate part of our profits to good causes, we support all sorts of foundations. Its all organic and recyclable. I really like tricking people into organic stuff- if its great tasting stuff at a good price, people will buy it whether it is organic or not.

'Yeah I have a girl. Been dating for about a year. Met on twitter of all places - she was retreating about a competition that we were running. She's a writer, and when that doesn't bring in enough money she works in a bar.

'I love the rugs and carpets they sell here. Just got this Yak Hair one for a hundred dollars. Although I don't know where I will put it, I live on a boat and there is not much space'.

Neil was easy to talk to and fun to be around. He had a good sense of humour and had an interesting story to his life.

It was just a shame that he only had a few days to trek here. He left us the next day when he heard a weather report and was worried about getting back to Kathmandu.

I am looking forward to trying Three Twins Ice Cream. If you get a chance to try any, then I bet it will be as nice as its owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment