This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Jamaica

'My name is Jamaica, like the rum. My real name? I think it best you call me Jamaica!

'So man, this room has nice view, but sometimes hot water shower not coming. NO problem hot water, just shower sometimes not work. But no woriries man, you can use mine.

'What you want for supper? We have chicken curry tonight. You wanna go somewhere in town? No problem, but if not find, come have dinner with me and my friends. We have a little rum, some laughs.

'Only one or two. I don't really drink you know. And no charis shit either. Changes you man, sometimes quiet, sometimes sad, and then angry like you flick a switch.

'I have German Girlfriend, but she like the black. I tried to say no, but she like, so in the end we split. No wife now. It does this to you [Jamaica his his arms in tight round his chest simulating being smothered].

'I grow up in the Punjab. Harbejan Singh, you know, the cricketer, he my neighbour, we play in cricket in the street together. Now he in Channai, big fat car!

'My family are very international. I have uncle in America, sister in London, another brother in Auckland. I go live with them for a few years each. They do all sorts. Uncle security manager, brother does gardens, sister studying law.

'I am trying to get Zealand citizenship. Take fucking years man! Another one I think and then they let me in. I will go thtere and start business.

'Hotels, I been doing this for severn years man. I think I like people, like to eat what I like when I like. This hotel I have leased for another 2 years. First season. You are 802'nd guest of the year.

'Mostly package tours. Mostly Indian. Sometimes even film crew. I have group coming on the 26th, otherwise I would close.

'Just started a place in Goa, Jamaica's in Arambol. My staff are there now getting it ready. I go down in maybe a week. You have been there, you know?

'Five six years ago, very different. Party there every night, all night. Now Police come about 11, wanting big backshish. Also, not good for workers beng woken up at all times by people wanting food.

'All sorts of people there. Israelis? Yes lots. They can be quite difficult, quite angry sometimes, they always haggle and complain about price. But can be very generous and by drinks for everyone in club. They smoke some much charis though, from lunchtime chillums you know, all come out.

'Russians too know. They are all so rich. Once came to me and said lets make partnership. He say he will give me whatever I need. But I say I need to get to know you man - maybe one year maybe two. And then I heard people say he in drugs market - LSD, pills, brown. Too much, I don't want that shit.

Lots to do here man. I think tomorrow you see Kye Monastery, Kibber too. Even village even further up, you have to go there by basket. But if yo do one thing, 1km before Kibber there is blue sign in Hindi. Is for a wildlife sanctuary. You see stuff there for sure man.

So what time you want breakfast, 8, 9 no problem. What you want? Paratha and masala omelette? No problem. Roti and jam, yeah sure. And chai when you wake? 8, I have it at your door.

No comments:

Post a Comment