This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

This is the journal of Benedict Beaumont as he travels round India on a Mororbike.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Dreaming in High Places and maths puzzles

Its late again, so I will not write much tonight.

I had been drawn to the Pabbar valley because I had seen a picture of a ridge, with snow capped mountains in the distance - Jamshal.

Today I drove up to the peak. 45 km on from where I was staying, on a road that mostly resembled a river bed, to a pass 4200m above sea level.

At the pass, I parked the bike. It was utterly, utterly silent in a way that I hadn't experienced for a long while.. Snowy peaks in every direction.

I climbed to the peak nearby. Although it wasn't far, it was quite an effort. At that altitude, I could feel myself struggling with the thin air.

At the summit were some small, basic and plane stone shrines - just piles of rocks really, set up at strange angles. They felt quite sacred, as if they housed the spirits of the mountains. I paid my respects, and said a small prayer, and felt very peaceful.

Back at the pass, I climbed onto a flat rock and napped for a while. The drive up and walk had really tired me out, but I felt good. I started thinking really positively about when I came home, about what I would do.

Altogether, I must have been up there for a couple of hours. Thinking, dreaming, drifting into different places. I left when the wind started picking up and making it quite cold.

The journey down was much quicker and easier. I stopped and had Chai with a shop keeper. He really wanted to discuss the corruption in India, and how much better the thought the country was when it was run by the British. I had to tell him that people think politicians are corrupt everywhere. Surely it is better to be free and corrupt with your countries destiny in your own hands than subjugated to a foreign country with no power at all. One to discuss at home.

Back at the lodge, there were a handful of Children waiting for us to speak and play with them. I did some maths puzzles with the brother Surej, and then watched the younger sister perform some Bollywood dances and songs. Later we drew pictures and gave them Hindi names whilst her brother sat fascinated by the computer. They didn't want to leave, and only went when their parents came to fetch them for bed.

Dinner was again prepared for us, and I shared it with Suzy. Again I am too tired to tell her story, but will do in the next couple of days.

I will leave tomorrow, but I am not sure of my destination yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment